June 19, 2012

at Riley wins Chuck Daly Lifetime Achievement Award

Pat Riley wins Chuck Daly Lifetime Achievement Award
By Ben Bolch
Pat RileyJune 19, 2012
MIAMI -- Pat Riley, who won four of his five NBA titles as a coach with the Lakers, received the Chuck Daly Lifetime Achievement Award before Game 4 of the Finals on Tuesday.

“The Lakers years made me,” said Riley, who won 1,210 games in 24 years as a coach with the Lakers, New York Knicks and Miami Heat and is now President of the Heat. “I didn’t know what I was doing in the ‘80s, and they waited for me to become a good coach, and I thank Magic Johnson for that and Jerry West and Jerry Buss. They had tremendous patience with me the first three or four years.”



Riley, 67, said he had no desire to get back into coaching.

“I don’t really miss it,” Riley said. “We have a very, very good young coach who’s growing by leaps and bounds. I did it 30 years. That’s enough.”

Riley, who coached against the late Daly in the 1988 and ‘89 NBA Finals with the Lakers, read a poem that was a favorite of his longtime rival that he had committed to memory.



No comments:

Post a Comment